Monday, August 16, 2010

Boy Not Motivated to Study

Recently I have a new student. A bright boy, the only son of a middle-aged parents. Initially he was quite well behaved and diligently did most of the homework I'd assigned him. But later, he began to "show" his true color.

He would stare blankly and often wonder off during my one-to-one tuition lesson. He would ask me questions to deviate from what I was trying to teach him. I didn't mind that as I always believe in imparting out-of-textbook-knowledge to a curious mind. And I could still able to re-direct his young mind to our lesson.

Sadly, his parents did not see or appreciate the "additional" things I discussed with the boy. They deemed that I was not doing my job well and their son not motivated to study. So my assignment with this boy was short-lived.

Yes, this boy is not motivated to study. How could a child be motivated when he has been having a tutor since primary 2 (now he is a primary 5 student)? He has been so well "taken care of" since young academically and physically. He has never need to struggle to "find his way".  Or maybe he has tried but his effort was not encouraged.

Boys have their unique way of learning which is very different from girls'. They are always curious of things outside their world. I think we have to accomodate their difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment