Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My "Cheap" Thrill

After busying with my P6 students in preparing their PSLE (Primary School Leaving Exams) and the younger ones in their final year exams, I've finally gotten a chance to take a break and catch up in my blogging.

As a tutor or teacher, I'm glad that most of my kids have done well. I was thrilled when I heard news of their academic results particularly how much they have improved.

Joanne, for example, a slow learner managed to leap to 53% from 38% in her Science. Kristal, my brillant P4 girl, scored 79% from 65% in her Maths. Adeline, who flung her P6 Preliminary Exams Math, managed to get a B from C in her PSLE even though I only spent a month to help her. And Yee Xuan who got 249 in her PSLE T-score from 220 plus in her prelim exams. There are many more...

In short, news of my students' improvement simply thrills me.

Most parents I know would simply look at the grades of their child. Whenever the kid could not get 90s or the perfect 100 score, they would deem their child academic performance as weak. I find such perception of their kid is so unfair and unkind. The goal or target they set for their child is so unrealistic. Often I would have to re-direct them to see their child's progress - the percentage of improvement from previous work. To me, this is a more realistic view of the child's academic effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment