Monday, November 29, 2010

My Niece, the Motivated Saver

Not long ago, I brought my niece and nephew to deposit their savings. Surprisingly the girl had managed to accumulate a substantial amount of money since our last trip there in June. With a single deposit of $100 into her POSBkids account, she was awarded with a “well done” rubber chop.

Beaming with pride as we trudged out of the bank, she audaciously declared that she is aiming to save to hit the next level of $300 by year end. The cheap plastic hand-held game, which worth $5 or less, is now her new target.


I told her frankly that amount was too ambitious to achieve within 6 months. Base on my calculation, it would take her a year to accumulate this money.

Maybe her Math is poor or she is plain ignorant. The 10-yr-old, nevertheless, seems to have made up her mind to achieve that goal by this December.

On top of her daily school allowance of $2, my niece reasoned that with the $4 she earns from her mum in babysitting her baby brother, and $10 from dad in washing up their master-bedroom toilet, she is very confident that she can work to earn and save the $300.

I’m really very amazed as well as impressed by her gungho and entrepreneur spirit.