Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Niece, the Self-Motivated Learner

Two weeks ago, before the Nov-Dec school holiday started, my 10-yr-old niece called and told me that she had some good as well as very bad news for me. She disclosed that she had done very well in her English and Chinese final year exams. Her English is Band 1 with 25% score improvement, her Chinese is Band 2 with more than 100% improvement. Her Science has improved by 18% but her Math is in red.

I appraised her for such drastic improvement in most of her subjects and asked her if her school teachers have done anything special in helping her. Without any hint of bashfulness, she boldly claimed that she has made up her mind to do well and has been pushing herself hard to excel.

I saw my 10-yr-old has become a self-motivated learner.

For years, she has been having remedial evening classes with her school teachers but her academic results are often hovering around 40s and 50s.

I noticed that ever since the bank trip, my 10-yr-old has matured and learnt how to set targets herself – first in her daily saving, now in her academic achievements. I’m very proud of her and hope that she will overcome her apprehension of Math and strive to excel in that subject soon.